True Story: From Shame To Fame





I remember when I gained admission into JSS 1, it was a huge achievement for me. I promised myself I was going to do well by facing my studies. My school uniform was always very neat and I made sure I never got to school late.

I still can't figure out why I was positioned to sit at the extreme end of the class, the angle 90, on a bench for three and in a class of over a hundred students. I didn't bother much as I quickly got use to it and always made the entire class turn their heads backwards to see me answer most of the questions asked by our teachers. My drawing skills also made me make some cool change from my classmate who use to find it difficult drawing diagrams given to us.

I was seated in class on a certain day when, towards closing hour, I decided to kill boredom by reading. I decided to borrow the english comprehensive reader from one of the guys seated directly in front of our desk. I became shocked when I opened it after collecting it from him. I found N20 notes in the middle. I decided to play pranks on him. I removed the money then returned the book to him immediately. My plan was to make him sweat while searching for the money before returning it to him. Few minutes later, temptation crept in. I suddenly remembered I needed N500 for a new school bag. I had saved up to N90 which took almost eternity to arrive at.

Our very wicked physics teacher stepped into the class and immediately started teaching. That was when I noticed the boy looking confused and crying while searching his bag. I became terribly afraid. After he reported to the teacher, a search was ordered. It started from the front desks down to my end which was the angle 90. The same manner which the whole class use to turn to view me whenever I answered a tough question was thesame way they did when the money was found on me, but this time with their mouths wide open. When the money was counted, it amounted to exactly N500 which was what I needed for a new school bag.

It was a huge disgrace as my classmates all made different taunting remarks, as if they were waiting for the star of the class to be disgraced. I was horribly flogged and sent home with a suspension letter. I couldn't go home as I contemplated committing suicide. I felt I had brought huge shame to my family name. I moved towards a pedestrian bridge with the aim of climbing then jumping down into the moving vehicles on the expressway. I started shivering and felt cold. The thought of the pains my family would be subjected to made me feel bad. God finally made me change my mind.

My dad couldn't flog me any longer when he saw the bruises inflicted on me by my teacher. My step-mum stood by me all through as we always went together to see the principal for forgiveness. She made her know I was a brillant student who just got caught by temptation. The suspension was reduced to a week and I was allowed to sit for the 2nd term exam. I was reduced to being quiet like a dove in class to the extent that teachers who knew who I was began to find me awkward. My fellow benchmates were the only friends that remained loyal. It also affected me in my neighborhood.

During the holiday, while hawking meat pie for my step-mum, I came across a classmate of mine who told me I was 1st position in the just concluded exam. I couldn't believe my ears. Before he could ask to know why I wasn't around to collect my result, I rushed down to tell my step-mum who welcomed me with joy. We were both rewarded with huge meat pie each.

School resumed the following week and I resumed with the same feeling of shame. Several eyes stared at me as I entered the classroom. Few minutes later, I headed for the staff room to collect my report card from my class teacher. He was amazed when he recognised me. He couldn't believe it was the same me. He led me straight to the class and made everyone give me a standing ovation and a round of applause. Tears soaked my eyes as I stood in front of the class. I was glad I went through my tunnel of punishment then came out into a huge brightness.

True story

Written by Adewole Segun

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It Is A Lie, Mary Didn't Wear An Hijab!

Privacy Policy